October 13 – Yossi Matias – Introduction
October 20 – Yossi Matias – Introduction (cont.)
October 27 – Boris Litvin – Online Profiling:
· Efficient and flexible Value Sampling, M. Burrows, U. Erlingson, S.-T. Leung, M.T. Vandevoorde, C.A. Waldspurger, K. Walker, W.E. Weihl, Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS), 2000
· Rapid Profiling via Stratified Sampling, S.S. Sastry, R. Bodk, and J. Smith, International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), 2001
· Online subpath profiling, D. Oren, Y. Matias, M. Sagiv, International Conference on Compiler Construction (CC), 2002
November 3 – Iftach Ragoler – Sensor Networks
· TAG: a Tiny Aggregation Service for Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks, Samuel Madden, Michael Franklin, Joseph Hellerstein, and Wei Hong, OSDI 2002
· Supporting Aggregate Queries Over Ad-Hoc Wireless Sensor Networks, Sam Madden, Robert Szewczyk, Michael Franklin, and David Culler, 4th IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems & Applications, June 2002.
· Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks, Chalermek Intanagonwiwat, Ramesh Govindan and Deborah Estrin, Proceedings of the Sixth Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCOM '00), August 2000
November 10 – Michael Furman – List Traversal Synopses
· List traversal synopsis – with applications, Y. Matias and E. Porat.
November 17 – Michael Berezansky – Clustering
· S-Tree: self-organizing three for data clustering and online vector quantization, Marcos M. Campos, Gail A. Carpenter, Neural Networks 14(2001) 505-525
· Fast Hierarchical Clustering and Other Applications of Dynamic Closest Pairs , David Epstein, SODA 1998
· Rock: A robust clustering algorithm for categorical attributes, Guha Sudipto, Rastogi Rajeev, and Shim Kyuseok, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, Sydney, March 1999, March 1999
· Cluster Validity Methods: Part I, M. Halkidi, Y. Batistakis, M. Vazirgiannis, SIGMOD Record 31(2), 40-45
November 24 – Saar Cohen – Fast filtering and lookup on streaming data
· Computing Iceberg Queries Efficiently, Fang, Min; Shivakumar, Narayanan; Garcia-Molina, Hector; Motwani, Rajeev; Ullman, Jeffrey D., International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB'98), New York, August 1998
· New Directions in Traffic Measurement and Accounting, Christian Estan and George Varghese, SIGCOMM 2002.
December 1 – Hanuka – no seminar
December 8 - Leon Portman – Wavelet synopses
· Workload-based Wavelet Synopses, Yossi Matias and Leon Portman.
December 15 – Natasha Kreimer – XML synopses
and Value Synopses for XML Data Graphs, N. Polyzotis and M. Garofalakis,
Proceedings of the 28th VLDB Conference, Hong Kong, China, 2002
An On-Line Self-Tuning Markov Histogram for XML Path Selectivity Estimation,
L.Lim , M.Wang , S.Padmanabhan, J.Scott Vitter, R. Parr, Proceedings of the 28th VLDB Conference, Hong Kong, China, 2002
Making XML Count , Juliana Freire ,Jayant R. Haritsa, Maya Ramanath, Prasan
Jerome Simeon , ACM SIGMOD 2002 June 4-6, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
December 22 – Roi Barkan – Frequent Items in data streams
· A Simple Algorithm for Finding Frequent Elements in Streams and Bags, R. M. Karp, C. H. Papadimitriou, S. Shenker
· Finding Frequent Items in Data Streams, M. Charikar, K. Chen, M. Farach-Colton, In Proceedings of the 29th International Colloquium on Automata Languages and Programming (ICALP), 2002.
· Approximate Frequency Counts over Data Streams, Gurmeet Singh Manku, Rajeev Motwani, In VLDB 2002.
January 5 – Anat Eyal - Object Replication in Data Grids
· Data Management in an International Data Grid Project,Wolfgang Hoschek, Javier Jaen-Martinez, Asad Samar, Heinz Stockinger, Kurt Stockinger, , IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing Grid'2000 - 17-20 December 2000 Bangalore, India "Distinguished Paper" Award
· File and Object Replication in Data Grids, Heinz Stockinger, Asad Samar, Bill Allcock, Ian Foster, Koen Holtman, Brian Tierney, , 10th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC 2001), San Francisco, California, August 7-9, 2001