Representations of Finite Groups 0366.3117
Tel Aviv, Spring 2000
The course will cover basics of the theory of representation of finite
groups, and some examples of compact Lie groups.
- Basic notions: Reducibility, intertwining operators
- Schur's Lemma, orthogonality relations for matrix coefficients
- Representations of abelian groups. Application: Primes in arithmetic progressions
- Character theory, dimensions of irreducible representations
- Induced representations, Mackey theory, representations of semi-direct
- Examples: irreducible representations of the symmetric groups, SL(2,p)
- Representations of SU(2) and SO(3), spherical harmonics.
to be announced
Linear algebra, basic group theory.
Zeev Rudnick's Homepage.